Frequently Asked Questions

Finding someone reliable to perform repairs and improvements on your home is challenging. Other people in the Association may know just the right person for your job and this list is a common place where our members can share positive experiences with contractors. The Nextdoor app is a great place to look for recommendations and ask other residents for their perspective on contractors.  The University District Community Association does not in any way support, recommend, or endorse any specific contractors.

The University District Community Association does not screen or investigate any contractors or work performed. It is your responsibility to check them out and verify their claims. It is recommended that you hire licensed and insured contractors. For more information on hiring and screening contractors refer to the Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs

Other Useful Information:

Verify Builder’s License:

Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA):

File a Complaint or Verify a License:,4601,7-154-35299—,00.html

Guide to Avoiding a Complaint:

Other Contractor Referral Lists: 

You can pay online by visiting

Membership dues are due on January 1st and the membership period runs from January 1st – December 31st of each year.

  • UDCA emails and special notices
  • Quarterly newsletter and website updates
  • Community interest workshops
  • Merchant partner discount program
  • Snow Plowed Streets
  • Beautification projects around and through the neighborhood
  • Handsome signs identifying our community
  • Most of all, the satisfaction of being part of the stabilization of your most valuable asset – YOUR HOME!

Go to to find your block captain. Email to find out how to volunteer to become a block captain or to get the contact information for your block captain.


Mission of the Standards Committee: To establish, identify and document, best practices for a set of residential standards for the University District Community Association.

Role & Responsibility of Committee members: Inform UD residents and property owners of the City of Detroit Codes, ordinances and relevant agency rules that are the basis of the Residential Standards. To receive and confirm violation reports from residents. Issue violation notices to residents when warranted. Refer violations to authorities having jurisdiction when necessary.

UDCA Mission: the University District Community Association strives to maintain and support the integrity of the neighborhood, provide communication of events and issues to its residents, promote a quality education in our local school while maintaining health, safety and happiness in a family-friendly, diverse community.

Our Location: The University District is located east of Livernois Avenue and west of and including Parkside St, between Seven Mile and McNichols.

Non-Discrimination Policy: It is hereby declared to be the policy of the Subdivisions that all property therein will be available without regard to race, sexual orientation, gender identity, creed, color, sex or national origin.

Drug-free Zone: The University District Community has zero tolerance for drug trafficking. As a community we can assure all who traffic in drugs that they will be sought out and reported to the authorities. Drug trafficking places all residents, living in the mist of drug dealing, at risk.

Residents who observe drug traffic are asked to call police at 313-234-4000 andour radio patrol at 313-447-0003 to report such activity (anonymously if you wish). It will take this entire community to maintain a safe living environment for all of our residents

Standards Enforcement: The University District Community Association, and its successors, strives to administer and enforce the architectural integrity, safe, social and desirable community living atmosphere and ensure the real property value of the homes in this community through the collective efforts of each property owner by supporting and enforcing the standards as set forth in this document.

View the 2018 Residential Standards here

2018 Residential Standards Guide

If this is a life threatening emergency, get off the internet and dial 911.

EMERGENCY                                                        911        
Detroit Police Department 12th Precinct 313-596-1200
University District Hotline 313-318-7498
University District Radio Patrol (Volunteer Patrol) 313-862-3754
University District Patrol (paid subscriber) Office number: 313-378-0982 – Paid subscribers also get access to the patrol car cell number. Contact UD Paid Patrol for more info
Abandoned Car Reports Use SeeClickFix, or the Improve Detroit mobile app.
Curfew Violations 911 – If there are repeated violations by the same individuals or at the same address, the NPO should be contacted.
Police Telephone Crime Reporting Unit (TCRU) 313-267-4600
Neighborhood Police Officer (NPO: Nicholle Quinn-Abdullah cell: 313-720-9991 (texting recommended) – office number: 313-596-1221
Advanced Disposal – Waste Pickup 844-233-8764
Stray Dog Hotline 313-922-DOGS