Applications are still being accepted for the 2017 UDCA Board of Directors Elections
The UDCA board is seeking candidates and/or nominations for five board seats for the term of 2018 through 2020. Ballots will be distributed to UDCA paid members in November.
Eligibility: To be eligible to run and sit on the board, a resident must be a current paid member of the University District Community Association and remain a paid member throughout the three-year term.
Requirements: Board members attend a monthly meeting and the semi-annual General Membership meetings, vote on issues, attend UDCA-sponsored social functions, serve on at least one committee and report on activities as required, and represent the Board to the community. Board members are also encouraged to submit articles to the newsletter.
How to become a candidate: It’s easy! Complete this application form. Then submit the application to: UDCA Election Committee, P.O. Box 21483, Detroit, MI 48221 or via email to Sid Bailey, Election Committee Chairperson: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Nominations/applications are due October 31, 2017 (DEADLINE EXTENDED!!).
The Voting Process: Residents who are paid UDCA members will receive ballots in early November. Ballots must be returned by the due date noted on the ballots. The votes will be tallied and newly elected board members will be notified and announced at the Annual General Membership meeting, currently scheduled for December.
The purpose of the UDCA Board is to:
- Maintain and support the neighborhood integrity
- Promote active partnership and membership
- Coordinate cultural and family events
- Maintain and enforce zoning ordinances and equitable tax assessments related to the use of property in the District
- Promote and monitor public improvements
- Facilitate regular communications among the members
- Represent the District concerning property taxes, levies, and other property issues
- Represent the District in legislative matters with City & State agencies.
One third (5) on the Board members’ terms expire each year. This ensures that stability and consistency on the Board are maintained while assuring the opportunity for an infusion of “new blood”.
Still not sure? Well, don’t decide just yet. Talk to a current or former Board member! Participate in upcoming UDCA activities. Come to a monthly Board meeting and see just how well you’d fit in. Remember, together we can do anything. Just take your seat!