On Saturday, September 10, over 650 people toured 7 homes in the neighborhood, our first University District Home Tour in four years!
The beautiful weather helped to make it a successful day, thanks to many University District resident volunteers who worked together over a six-month time period. Planning started in April, confirming the homeowners/homes on the tour, reaching out to recruit volunteers, sponsors, and partners, and putting pieces in place to have a safe and healthy event. Altogether, 100+ people gave 1,300+ hours of their time to create and deliver the event!
There were several “firsts” this time:
- A feature story on Fox2Detroit!
- Eventbrite used to sell electronic tickets
- Facebook advertising
- People for Palmer Park, Detroit Public Theatre, University of Detroit Mercy Theatre Theatre sharing information about their community-based work
- Charitable donations received from Detroit-based corporations and foundations
- Avenue of Fashion business sponsorship, including Baker’s Keyboard Lounge
- A Health & Safety Supplies table at Registration, so that everyone was given face masks, hand sanitizer, and shoe covers for the tour, and water to stay hydrated along the route
And we preserved successful practices of prior University District Home Tours:
- Experienced volunteers orienting new volunteers
- Knowledgeable docents in the homes on the tour
- Block Captains engaged in making sure residents knew of the event
- UDCA Board support and involvement
- Reasonable ticket prices
- Warm and gracious hospitality in the University District
- Beautiful and clean neighborhood (despite a major storm and power loss the week before in 2022!)
Planning for the 2024 University District Home Tour will start in April 2023. If you think you might like to be involved, please contact us.
University District Home Tour 2022 By The Numbers
Tickets sold : 710
Money received through ticket sales: $15,100
Volunteer Hours: 1,300
Value of Volunteer Time: over $35,000 (the value of a volunteer hour in Michigan is $28.35, according to Independent Sector) https://independentsector.org/resource/value-of-volunteer-time/
Funds raised to support UDCA, after expenses: approximately $4,500