Information Known To Date:
- Gesu issued a letter to its parish on September 8, 2023 describing its plans to explore rezoning and redevelopment and announcing its partnership with MHT.
- Public hearing took place before the city planning commission at 5:15 pm on Thursday, September 21, 2023 on the 13th floor of the Coleman A. Young Municipal Center, 2 Woodward Avenue in Detroit.
- This report is on public record for the meeting
- A recording of the meeting can be found here:
- *Note: The recording is the video labeled “CPC Meeting 9-21-23“
- The result of this meeting was to move the vote to the November 9 Detroit City Council meeting.
- University District Community Association is holding a separate meeting for all residents and interested parties to attend on Tuesday October 3. Representatives from Gesu and MHT WILL NOT be at this meeting. The agenda will include:
- How we got here
- The current development proposal and where the process is
- Where residents can direct their specific questions
- What avenues residents have to voice their position
- Gesu and MHT will be holding a separate public meeting on October 10 and October 18 to explain the project and hear public comment.
- Gesu has also said they will be creating a flyer explaining the project and distributing it to all University District Households
- City Council is to hold another public comment meeting sometime between now and November 9.
- City Council will vote on the rezoning proposal on November 9, before they go on recess for the new year.
Documents that were provided to the City Planning Commission ahead of their September 2023 meeting:September-21-2023-CPC-Agenda
Analysis of Proposed Population Served by Gesu Church from UDCA BoardAnalysis-of-Proposed-Population-Served-by-Gesu-Church-Proposed-Building-Project